Day By Day

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Hating Modern Art

Do you hate modern "non-objectivist" art? Do ya? Do ya? C'mon, you do, dontcha? What about atonal music [not the stuff you hum in the morning, the kind presented in concert halls]? Well, you are in good company.

"Spengler" at Asia Times Online shares your contempt. Read his take on modernism in art and music here. He writes:

There are esthetes who appreciate the cross-eyed cartoons of Pablo Picasso, the random dribbles of Jackson Pollock, and even the pickled pigs of Damien Hirst. Some of my best friends are modern artists. You, however, hate and detest the 20th century's entire output in the plastic arts, as do I.

"I don't know much about art," you aver, "but I know what I like." Actually you don't. You have been browbeaten into feigning pleasure at the sight of so-called art that actually makes your skin crawl, and you are afraid to admit it for fear of seeming dull. This has gone on for so long that you have forgotten your own mind. Do not fear: in a few minutes' reading I can break the spell and liberate you from this unseemly condition.

Check it out, you won't be sorry.

I particularly like his last sentence -- so malicious and so deservedly so.

No comments: