Day By Day

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sarah!

I suppose by now everyone has seen the Sarah Palin "Turkey Slaughter" interview. If not, here it is.



There has been a lot of silly commentary, especially on MSNBC, where pundits have taken it to be proof of Sarah's moral as well as intellectual inadequacy [here].

My personal reaction..., 'bout the same as Mark Steyn's:

I didn't think I could like Sarah Palin more than I do, but the nancy boys at MSNBC bleating all over the screen about the Great Turkey Carnage is hilarious....

After she's sworn in in 2013, I hope President Palin arranges for a ritual turkey slaughter to be going on behind her at every press conference, if only during David Shuster's questions.

Read it here.

Byron York posts responses from NRO readers here. I particularly like this one:

City people think that farms are "where life happens." Nonsense. Farming is about killing stuff. I don't even raise livestock or poultry and I have to kill stuff.

I can get crops to grow by simply putting seed in the ground. The rest of my job is to kill, kill, kill. Kill weeds. Kill insect pests. Kill vertebrate pests. Whether by herbicide, pesticides, shooting, trapping, stomping, you name it — I spend far more time killing than I do making something grow. Mother nature takes care of the growing. I have to remove the competition. There have been days when I've trapped 50+ pocket gophers and shot 100 ground squirrels - before lunch. They needed killing, and the next day, more of them were killed because they needed killing. At other times, I've shot dozens of jackrabbits at night and flung them out into the sagebrush for coyotes to eat.

And none of that starts in with helping neighbors slaughter steers, lambs, chickens, etc.

That's farming: killing. Lots of it.

I grew up around farms. He's right.

One of the things I really, really like about Sarah is the kind of reaction she provokes in her critics. They really are unhinged.