Day By Day

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Terry Pratchett on Death With Dignity

One of my favorite authors, Terry Pratchett who suffers from early onset Alzheimers disease, favors assisted suicide.
'I believe that if the burden gets too great, those who wish should be allowed to be shown the door,' he said. 'In my case, in the fullness of time, I hope it will be in the garden under an English sky. Or, if wet, the library.'

....

He said that no one has a duty to suffer the extremes of terminal illness and set down his admiration for the sick and dying who have travelled to to die in legal suicide clinics. They have displayed ' furious sanity', he said.


He goes on to say that while assisted suicide should be legal, it should not be subsidized with tax-payer monies and opines that no democratic country would ever allow a government to create a mandated or even recommended suicide program.

Let us certainly hope so. I have no problem with "Death With Dignity" as an individual choice, but I am horrified by the idea that the state should attempt to coerce or in any way influence an individual's decision.

Thank you Sarah Palin!