Day By Day

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Iraq the Model Comments on Murtha

Mohammed writes:
I can’t imagine why Mr. Murtha said something like “is evident that continued military action in Iraq is not in the best interests of the United States of America, the Iraqi people or the Persian Gulf region”.

It is really strange when a US representative says something like this few weeks after the elected Iraqi government demanded from the UN to extend the mission of coalition forces for another year; apparently my government (and I) do not think that US military presence is harmful for us and the Arab League also thinks that an immediate withdrawal would be disastrous for Iraq and the region.
And correct me if I’m wrong but I think I heard a few days ago that the US senate rejected a law that demanded setting a timetable for troops withdrawal (58 vs. 40, right?) let alone an immediate one.

However, I agree with Mr. Murtha that some people in Iraq would benefit from an immediate withdrawal but that would be al-Qaeda and there are also countries in the region that would benefit from that too but these would be Syria and Iran!
Unfortunately it seems to be in the character of many Congresscritters to speak mindlessly and irresponsibly in the mad pursuit of temporary political advantage. I fear that Rep. Murtha, and the Democrat leadership that instigated his comments, through his poorly-considered statements, has done himself, his constituents, his party, his nation, and indeed the world, a disservice.

No comments: