Day By Day

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Birding

One of the great things about life on the mountain is the immense variety of winged creatures you can see. Yesterday, "She Who Must Not Be Named" asked me to walk down to the end of our driveway to check the mail. Naturally, I took a camera. This is some of what I saw on the way.


A lone starling. I tried to get closer for a better shot, but away he flew. No worry, there will be a lot more before the season is over.


This is a "Least Flycatcher". He kept flying back and forth between a tree overlooking our driveway and our roof. Nesting? We can hope.


A lone crow in flight. He burst from a tree in my neighbor's yard, flew west toward a line of trees, then looped back to his original perch. About a minute later he traced the same course, returning again to the tree. Then he appeared again, this time with two companions. The three of them passed overhead and beyond the treeline. I wandered over to see where they went, but by then they were long gone.


Now this is a real nasty guy -- a brown-headed cowbird, one of three foraging on my neighbor's lawn. Cowbirds are parasites, dumping their eggs in other birds' nests to be raised by them at the expense of the other birds' hatchlings. I was going to make an analogy to contemporary human society, but won't. Not everything has to be political. I'll just make the point that nature is nasty and cruel.

There were other birds -- robins, sparrows, etc. but I didn't bother taking pictures of them. I see too many of them every day.