Day By Day

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sweet Georgia Brown

Whenever I've been asked who my favorite singer is, my reply has always been, "You mean after Ella?" She was the greatest. Here she is with Duke Ellington doing one "Sweet Georgia Brown".



Aaaaah! That was nice, wasn't it!

There was one lady who, on a good day, could give Ella a run for her money -- Anita O'Day. Here is her version of the same song.



Something completely different, but just as impressive. Can't decide which version I like better.

And I just might, if I'm in the mood, prefer Django Reinhardt's version.



That's the great thing about the great standards you can hear a wonderful diversity of interpretations.

How about some Benny Goodman?



And, believe it or not, the Beatles!



And for my sis, a bluegrass version by Alison Krauss & Union Station. She performed this at the Philly Folkfest. Too bad I missed that year.



I could do this all night, but I won't. I'll close out with a version by two of the greatest guitarists of our time -- Chet Atkins and Lenny Breau.



And now to bed....