Day By Day

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Walking Around Baltimore

I started out to get a long overdue haircut.

"She Who Must Not Be Named" really likes the way Trinh, a Vietnamese woman who works at a shop on S. Light Street, cuts my hair, so that is where I headed. At Montgomery the traffic light was out and drivers were edging warily through the intersection -- a problem for someone like me who can't hurry across the street. Fortunately a woman, seeing my cane, waved me across.

When I got to Trinh's shop it was dark and she and her sister were lounging in the barber chairs. "Power out," they shouted, "come back in half hour." The City was working on the power lines and had shut down the entire block. So I left and spent some time wandering around the neighborhood. Here's some of what I saw.


On a beautiful Spring day like today even alleys look inviting.


In front of the Light Street mission the leaves are bursting.


I wound up here, at my new favorite hotspot. The "Beach Bum's Cafe" on South Light Street, just a few doors up from the Cross Street Market, not only has WiFi, it has the best damn crab soup in the center city. And of course there is ice cream for dessert, unless you want to drop in next door for some "Dangerously Delicious" pie. Mmmmmmm....

Hey, it looks like the power is back on.

I walked [well hobbled] back to Trinh's shop. The power was on, a chair was open, and soon I was getting my annual Spring haircut. About fifteen minutes in, though, the power went out again. Fortunately, by that time Trinh was finished with the clippers and was able to complete the do with scissors.

When I got home, "She" pronounced the work satisfactory..., even good, although a bit "punky" [whatever that means]. Doesn't matter much to me. Basically I just wanted the hair off my ears and out of my eyes. With that done I should be good for at least the next few months.