Day By Day

Friday, August 24, 2007

Hanging Out In Ligonier

Last weekend "She Who Must Not Be Named" and I traveled over to Western Pennsylvania, to Laurel Mountain and the Ligonier Valley, sometime resort of the super-rich and powerful. We visited people we knew, checked out the local attractions, and generally had a wonderful time.

It was a pleasant drive across the Keystone State. "She" drove and I carried a camera in my lap to snap whatever looked interesting.

Here we are crossing the not so mighty Susquehanna just north of Harrisburg.



And this is the Laurel Highlands, not far from Somerset. That's Laurel Mountain dead ahead.


The square in Ligonier. When I was a kid I used to go to band concerts here.


A local specialty, fish trees.


And of course we visited Fort Ligonier -- it really looks great compared to the way I remembered it. If you are in the area, definitely check it out.


Driving through the old Mellon estates.


A viceroy in a friend's garden. Note the bees. They were all over the place, so I didn't stick around long.


Linn run at Rector. There be trout here. That evening we ate at the newly-reopened Colonial Inn and I had grilled trout caught on Laurel Mountain, just a couple of miles from here. It was good!!!


One of my favorite places to eat -- the Ligonier Country Inn in Laughlintown. Sunday brunch is the best -- good food, lots of it, terrific service, friendly people. It helps to be with locals -- everything is like a family dinner. Did I say people are friendly? Yes I did, and yes they are. "She" got an offer to go fly fishing with the owner. Unfortunately it is a lot of other people's favorite place and it fills up quick, so get there early.


Finally we headed home, back through the mountains.


And as we drove, the rains came.