Day By Day

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Bush vs. Mitt

Bob Novak is reporting that the Bush White House was instrumental in promoting John McCain's candidacy and undercutting that of Mitt Romney. The reason? McCain had supported Bush on both the war in Iraq and on comprehensive immigration reform while Mitt had taken oppositional stances on both.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing generally with McCain on most major issues [except for his Gorish stance on the environment, which I find disturbing] but at the same time feeling that Mitt would make a far better president, despite the fact that I disagree with him on most issues. I just don't trust McCain's temperment, and as for his managerial skills -- he doesn't have any.

On the Democrat side, neither candidate is acceptable. Hillary is..., well..., Hillary! and for the life of me I can't figure out from his statements just what Obama stands for. Fortunately, being an independent, I don't have to take any sides until the general elections and then I will probably take Mrs. McCain's advice and hold my nose while I vote for her son.