Day By Day

Friday, February 08, 2008

A Convention of Vultures


A cold , wet, and dreary day. "She Who Must Not Be Named" and I were driving south through the mountains toward Reading, Pennsylvania. As we passed through Port Clinton I looked up and saw this. The trees were filled with turkey vultures, driven down by the persistent rain. We pulled over and I got out to take pictures. It was a very spooky moment, being so close to so many vultures.

What is interesting was that many of them were spreading their wings in the breeze, trying to dry them despite the constant drizzle.

A few miles further on we saw hundreds of geese and gulls sitting out the rain in a cropped cornfield. I had put the camera away and we didn't have time to stop, unpack, and take pictures. Too bad -- it was impressive. The following day we drove past the same site. The gulls were gone, but a lot of the geese remained. I tried to take some pictures from the moving car ["She" was driving] but I didn't have a long lens, so they didn't come out too well. You'll have to take my word for it -- the sight was impressive, even if the photos don't show it.