Day By Day

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Good President (continued) -- Policy and Partisanship

During a recent interview with Brit Hume George Bush stated proudly that he refused to withdraw from Iraq, despite knowing that such a course would have been good for his party going into the 2006 elections.

President Bush says he refused to "bail out my political party" by withdrawing troops "during the darkest days of Iraq," a decision now lauded by his father in an unprecedented joint interview of both presidents by Brit Hume on "FOX News Sunday."

"During the darkest days of Iraq, people came to me and said, 'You're creating incredible political difficulties for us,'" the current president said as his term draws to a close. "And I said, 'Oh, really? What do you suggest I do?' And some suggested retreat, pull out of Iraq.

"But I had faith that freedom exists in people's souls and therefore, if given a chance, democracy and Iraqi-style democracy could survive and work," the president said. "I didn't compromise that principle for the sake of trying to, you know, bail out my political party."
Read it here.

This is one of the things I really like about Dubya. He understands that being President involves much, much more than simply being a party leader. He has never confused the two roles and, unlike many of his critics, has always known which is more important.