Day By Day

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Raptor Attack

Last weekend I spent some time in the sculpture garden at the Baltimore Museum of Art taking pictures of the magnificent Spring foliage. I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye, looked up, and saw this. A red-tailed hawk perched on a nearby limb scanning nearby trees for prey.



Then it saw a movement below, looked down, and saw me. What a chilling stare.



I must have looked tasty, because almost immediately it launched itself at me, and for a split second I knew what a rabbit must feel like.



The hawk passed just a couple of feet above my head and flew off behind a nearby building. It all happened so fast that I couldn't keep my assailant in focus and in frame.



Living at Hawk Mountain I have seen and photographed red-tails many times but was never attacked before. Perhaps it was nesting and I got too close to the nest. At least I hope that's the explanation. I would hate to think that I look like raptor bait.