Day By Day

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

China Diary -- Part 48 The Shanghai Museum

The next day we headed out for the Shanghai Museum of Ancient Chinese Art. This, for me was one of the highpoints of the trip.



Here are a couple of shots of the building's interior. The exhibition halls are located around this central atrium. This world-class museum houses extensive collections of Chinese paintings, calligraphy, coins, bronzes, jades, ceramics, and furniture. I was fascinated. If only I could spend the whole day there, and the next, and the next..., but we were on a schedule.





I was prowling through the coin gallery when I heard coming from the courtyard a familiar song. Somebody..., well a lot of somebodies, was singing the old folk song, "Shenandoah". I hurried out, looked down, and saw an impromptu concert taking place below. It was the University of Delaware Chorale, on tour in China. For me it was a magic moment. Even the guards who had flocked to the central courtyard at the first sound of singing seemed to be entranced. All too soon the songs were over and everyone returned to the exhibits.


I still had a lot left to see when time was up and we had to reassemble to head out for our next destination -- a pearl emporium. But as I left, I vowed to myself someday I will be back.