Day By Day

Friday, July 17, 2009

Wren Update


I previously blogged about a couple of wrens who built a nest near our front porch here and here. I had taken a picture of the male wren warding off an attack from one of his neighbors. Now here is a picture of his mate. The male perches on a nearby limb singing his little heart out while she stays inside, peeking out from time to time to see what is going on. "She Who Must Not Be Named" stood waiting patiently for her to appear and finally got this picture. Nice!

And here's the reason the wrens are continually on alert. I saw this perched on a rhododendron bush about twenty feet from their nest.



It's a fledgling that has just left the nest -- a catbird I believe, but I'm not sure. If something that big and ugly moved in next to me I'd be nervous too. Come to think of it..., it has, and I am!