Day By Day

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

This Day In History

There's not much of historical interest to write about today -- Jamestown was resupplied, Leo I became Pope, Saladin entered Jerusalem..., that sort of thing. I suppose I could do a short essay on any of them, especially Leo ["the Great"] who was the pope who negotiated with Attila the Hun and supposedly convinced him to spare Rome [there's some debate on that] and was the first Pope to claim universal jurisdiction within the Church, but that would take too much time and I have other things I need to do today. So, I will have to content myself with a few markers in the history of American popular culture.

On this day in 1915 the Phillies clinched their first pennant; it would not be their last.

On this day in 1957 the New York Giants played their last game in the Polo Grounds losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates, 9-1.

And on this day in 1961 Bobby Zimmerman [aka Bob Dylan] took part in his first recording session, playing backup harmonica for Caroline Hester.

And on this day in 1963 the pride of Donora, PA -- Stan "the Man" Musial -- played his last game. That evening the Rolling Stones embarked on their first tour, opening for Bo Diddley and the Everly Brothers [talk about a mash of styles]. Coincidence? I think not!

And on this day in 1995 the defense rested in the O. J. Simpson murder trial.