Day By Day

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Lady with Plans

In London PETA [People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals] has launched a "shed your skin" campaign. To kick it off the organization's founder is auctioning off a tattooed patch of skin from her arm. She says the skin is "waterproof and weathered..., suitable for making into a wallet or watch strap." So, if you're looking for a valentine's gift for that special someone....

Read about it here.

UPDATE: In one sense the skin auction is not as horrific as it initially seemed. The winning bidder will have to wait until the donor dies before collecting his piece of skin. However, Ingrid Newkirk, the donor, has much larger plans.

"I plan to send my liver somewhere in France to protest foie gras (liver pate)," she says. "I am going to donate my pointer finger to Ringling Brothers. Not the (swear) finger, I'm not that rude, but the pointer finger as a way to say 'shame on you.' They have mistreated so many animals over the years."

Wait, there's more!

"I plan to have handbags made from my skin ... and an umbrella stand made from my seat.... My feet are too small to make a proper umbrella stand, but my seat...."

Read about it, if you wish, here.

UPDATE:

Ingrid's auction plans have hit a snag. E-Bay has refused to host the auction. Read about it here.

Not to worry, though. She got plenty of what she really wanted, publicity. I feel used.

No comments: