Day By Day

Monday, July 31, 2006

Great News -- Drive Ins are Making a Comeback


I'm old enough to have fond memories of drive-in movies. They were a big part of my childhood and teen years. My parents used to bundle us all into the station wagon with plenty of coke and popcorn for a night in front of the big screen. Years later I remember seeing my first James Bond flick, "Dr. No," at a drive-in and my date got upset because I was paying more attention to Ursula Andress than I was to her. And then there were "dollar a car" nights.... aaaah! I remember...., I remember..., "I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled...."

Well, those thrilling days of yesteryear may not be gone for good. Reuters reports:

AVERILL PARK, New York (Reuters) - It's a smokers' and drinkers' paradise where pajama-clad children and crying babies are welcome and bug spray is essential: The drive-in movie theater is making a muted comeback in the United States.

While it's not quite a return to the heyday of the 1950s, when there were more than 4,000 outdoor theaters across the country, 20 new drive-in cinemas have opened up during the past year, taking the national total to 420.

Read it here.

Well, it's a start....

For those who want to take a trip down memory lane. Check out this site. I'll meet you at the snack stand.


No comments: