Day By Day

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Playing With My New Toy -- Camera Bloggery


"She Who Must Not Be Named," for reasons too complicated to explain, gave me my birthday gift a bit early this year. It's a new camera! Joy, joy!

"She" had noted that I've been taking pictures everywhere I go and decided that I could do with some decent equipment instead of the silly little "point and click" pocket camera I currently use. (I know, I know..., what counts is the photographer, not the equipment.)

I had been thinking along much the same lines and had even consulted with some commercial photographers, one of whom used to work for National Geographic. All of them said much the same thing. The Nikon D-50 is an excellent starter camera. Don't go overboard on equipment. Stay away from the professional gear until you really know what you are doing. You know, the standard stuff.

So, I am now the proud possessor of a new Nikon and am beginning to explore its potential. Here's one of my first attempts using the 18-55 Nikkor lens bundled with the camera. It's certainly not what I see in my mind's eye, but it is a big improvement over the point and shoot I've been using.

No comments: