Day By Day

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Spring is Coming


Right now the daytime temperatures at the harbor are hovering around freezing and will dip down into the teens at night, and in the mountains last week's snow hasn't completely melted, but still Spring is on the way. The harbingers are unmistakable.

Last week in the mountains I was sitting in my office when I noticed a flurry of activity outside. The squirrels were chasing each other madly from branch to branch. It's a ritual they go through every Spring as they attempt to establish and defend territories. Later I noticed birds from various species flickering past my windows doing much the same. It's only a matter of time before some demented robin or jay starts attacking his own reflection in the windows. It happens every Spring. Even at the harbor the birds are getting restless. Last week as we loaded up the car for a trip back to the mountains half a dozen sparrows were noisily contending for nesting places in the garage.

"She Who Shall Not Be Named" also tells me that her snowdrops are out and beginning to bloom. These are the first flowers to come up and I'll try to get a picture of them when we get back to the highlands. She also pointed out that the daffodils outside her kitchen window are beginning to send up spikes through the snow cover. It's only a matter of a few weeks before they will start to bloom.

Spring is on the way. I can't wait. But for now I have to be content with harbingers of Spring to come and memories of Springs past.

No comments: