Day By Day

Monday, September 04, 2006

Monhegan

"She Who Must Not Be Named" and I recently spent a few days on an island off the coast of Maine. It was interesting. No cell phones, no internet connection, no TV, no electric hookup in some of the houses [many islanders use kerosene or solar panels]. Great for a change, as long as you can return to the mainland when you start to get island fever.

The place is fascinating, filled with beautiful and dramatic perspectives that have provided inspiration for generations of artists. Shortly after disembarking from the ferry I looked up to see this house. It seemed familiar somehow, and later I remembered where I had seen it.


This is "The Red House" by Jamie Wyeth -- one of his more famous works. And when he painted it Wyeth was standing just about where I was when I took the photograph. I'm not sure why -- Jamie isn't one of my favorite artists -- but the realization thrilled me at some level.











Then on our second day on the island we hiked to the top of the highest hill where we found this.




















Which inspired this Wyeth painting titled "The Bronze Age"


No comments: