Day By Day

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Hilary! [no, not that one]

There was an interesting conjunction of performances on TV tonight. IFC ran Boys Don’t Cry, starring Hilary Swank in her oscar-winning role as Brandon Teena, the cross dressing boy/girl, while opposite it on the SciFi channel was running Stephen King’s Sometimes they Come Back…for More starring Hilary Swank as Michelle, the damsel in distress. And, of course, in the theatres she is appearing as Maggie Fitzgerald in Million Dollar Baby, (which "She" [the nameless] wants to see tomorrow). It’s a good opportunity to chart Ms. Swank's maturation as an actress over the course of just a few years. If she, as I think she will, wins this year's Best Actress Oscar, she will have two of them at the ripe old age of 31. Remarkable. Sorta reminds me of Tom Lehrer’s famous observation that one day he realized that by the time Mozart was his age, he’d been dead for ten years.

Oh, by the way, I was pleasantly amused, but not overly impressed, by Sideways. I'll write more later. There are several movies I've been meaning to write about recently, including one I lectured on just a few days ago, but haven't had time to do so. There will be more movie talk coming soon, I promise.

No comments: