Day By Day

Friday, December 16, 2005

Iraqi Bloggers React to the Elections


Interesting commentary from Iraqi bloggers:

The Mesopotamian sees an almost mystical awakening taking place in his country, contrary to the expectations of most "experts."
Today was a tremendous moment of our history, a turning point and a real milestone. Say what you like; things are not perfect; there are countless problems; the “insurgency” is not going to disappear; the reconstruction effort is in shambles; there is corruption and thieving everywhere; errors and mistakes in everything. Yet despite all that, the political process is proceeding like a dream and the tree of freedom is taking roots, and that tree will continue to grow and grow and grow. The Iraqis are again confounding all the "pundits" and "experts". But some just cannot understand the true soul of a people. That this most profound revolution initiated by an act of liberation, by the daring praxis of the Americans, driven by some mysterious hand of the Providence, has touched the innermost womb of a nation, and that the present agonies of this nation are those of giving birth and new life. Oh no, that they cannot understand. Well then, let them witness surprise after nasty surprise that will confound their logic and demolish their arguments. But the word mongers will always find something to say, as wild dogs are always wont to bark all the more hysterically as they are irked.
Read the whole thing here.

Iraq the Model has organized reports from dozens of bloggers at cities throughout Iraq. Check them out here. Lots of good pictures too, like the one above.

A Citizen of Mosul [fiercely anti-occupation] writes:
The result will appear at the end of this month as expected, but we all know for sure who will win and why.

If you ask me why I vote, while I know the result in advance ?

It is because of an e-mail I received from an American friend telling me his feeling when he face a similar situation, he said:
" Now it seems certain that my vote will be for the losing side. I find that incredibly frustrating.
Even so, I will vote. I will lose, but I will vote."
I feel just as he felt, and I decided to do what he did, so I voted. Thank you my friend.
Read it here.

This last is the real triumph. A Sunni professional who did well under the Saddam regime, who bitterly resents the American presence in Iraq, and who is certain that he will be on the losing side in the election, still participates because somehow, deep down, he knows that democracy is the future and the door to the past is forever closed.

No comments: