Day By Day

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Walking the Fields -- Part Two














Memo to self:

Walk more often and get a better camera.

As I began my walk home I saw a tractor sitting abandoned in a field. The road took me right past it and as I approached a truck drove up beside me, stopped and two men got out.

“Huh?”

I turned to face them. “Can I help you?” I asked.

“Naw,” the driver said, “we just came to get our tractor.”

I walked on and only later thought to wonder if it really was their tractor.

* * * * *

A bit further on, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement to the west along a line of trees. A large bird – a very large bird -- angled down and perched. I immediately headed toward it, fumbling for my camera and binoculars. Then it took off, scattering small birds in all directions. A few powerful wingstrokes and then it soared, circling high above the field I had just left.

There it was, an immature bald eagle – my first eagle of the season. Big and beautiful and slowly circling in the clear sky.

Desperately I angled for a good shot, but it was between me and the sun. I snapped off about forty shots, just hoping that one or two of them would come out. You see the results above.

I really do have to upgrade my camera.

No comments: