Day By Day

Saturday, March 04, 2006

You Can't Trust the U.N.!

That's not some Buchananite protectionist speaking, it's Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda.

He elaborates:

My own experience from a decade ago taught me I cannot trust them. But it is a world body and we have to live with it and tolerate it. But I can't hide my feelings about its inefficiency and its not being productive.

Of course you have to consider the recent experience of his country, and of other countries in the region. They all have ample reason to hold the UN and other international agencies in contempt. But that said, their own domestic policies leave a lot -- a whole lot -- to be desired. Read the whole interview by Der Spiegel here for a look at how Rwanda is dealing with the aftermath of genocide.

No comments: