Day By Day

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lileks Tries to Translate Spitzer

James explains what New York's Democrat guv meant to say -- at least I hope that's what he meant to say. If not, he inhabits the same bizarre self-referential sphere as the Hildebeast and her horrid hubby.
I don’t understand this Spitzer quote: “"I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself.” I don’t know if his standards involved not getting caught, or if he’s having some weird moment in which his overarching sense of himself has just been reminded of the libidinous self he put back in the strongbox after every episode of satiation. It’s difficult to arrange a prostie romp in advance with complex details about the finances, the room key, transportation, etc., without realizing that this is, indeed, Standard Self. He could come out and say "this is my truth; I am a Trick American" and it would sound more honest.

I think the phrase he's looking for is "I did not live up to the standards I set for others."

Read it here.