Day By Day

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Our Nordic Expedition, Part 5 -- Crossing the Stadthavet Sea

We left Bergen in the middle of the night and morning found us at the small trading town of Maloy, a waypoint on our voyage across the Stadthavet Sea. 








From there we sailed for hours past some of the most spectacular coastal scenery in the world. I, along with a few hardy Germans, spent most of the time standing near the bow of the boat, camera in hand, excitedly snapping shots of the glorious sights.






There were several of these isolated farmsteads clinging precariously to the cliffsides and I wondered what it would be like to live in such remote and rugged circumstances. Our tour guide said that Norwegians were often people who don't like to talk to other people. If they came from such places I can see why.






Eventually the cold and the increasing pitch and roll of the boat in choppy seas got to me and I headed inside to warm up and calm my stomach.

No comments: