Day By Day

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Donna Brazile Sees the Light


Despite the incessant mad gibberings issuing from the leadership, I have always held firm to the conviction that there were sane and serious people remaining in the Democratic Party. Donna Brazile proves me right.

In today's WaPo she writes:

New Orleans is my hometown. It is the place where I grew up, where my family still lives. For me, it is a place of comfort and memories. It is home.

Now my home needs your help, and the help of every American. Much of my city is still underwater. Its historical buildings have been wrecked, its famous streets turned to rivers and, worst of all, so many of its wonderful people -- including members of my own family and my neighbors -- have lost everything.

On Thursday night President Bush spoke to the nation from my city. I am not a Republican. I did not vote for George W. Bush -- in fact, I worked pretty hard against him in 2000 and 2004. But on Thursday night, after watching him speak from the heart, I could not have been prouder of the president and the plan he outlined to empower those who lost everything and to rebuild the Gulf Coast.
Read the whole thing here.

This is a remarkable statement coming from the woman who ran Al Gore's campaign. In the end it took a major catastrophe hitting close to home, affecting her friends and family, to wake her to the fact that George Bush is, regardless of our political affiliations, our president, and is sincerely working to make our country and the world a better place. Is this a turning point? Is it too much to hope that other leading Democrats will abandon their stance of mindless, reflexive obstructionism? Yeah, it probably is, and that is sad.

No comments: