Day By Day

Friday, September 09, 2005

To Rebuild or Not to Rebuild? That is the Question!


Slate Magazine runs an interesting piece by Jack Shafer making the case for not rebuilding much of New Orleans. It's a good article -- read it here.

I must confess that when I first read MSM accounts of Speaker Hastert's remarks on the subject I was upset. His words, as reported, seemed incredibly callous and inappropriate. Those were days of high emotion when a brave response, defying nature, seemed right and proper. Now I learn that the MSM mis-reported Hastert's comments, making them seem much more Swiftian than they really were, and I have had time to cool down and take a more reasoned approach to the problems that confront us. Barbara Bush's remarks also seem far less callous on reflection than they did at the time.

Shafer's case is strong and decisions as to how many resources should be committed to rebuilding and for what purposes should be subject to rational discussion. I now salute Speaker Hastert for raising that important issue. I just wish he had waited a week to do so.

This is a provocative and noteworthy piece of journalism. It merits your attention and the issues it raises should certainly be open for prolonged discussion. Unfortunately, the hysterics in the media and the political class will try to block off that discussion.

No comments: