Day By Day

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Maryland Politics -- Steele Will Run [maybe]

The WaPo reports:

Maryland Republican Party Chairman John Kane said last night that he expects Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele (R) will soon announce the launch of a committee to explore a 2006 U.S. Senate bid.

"I think that's what he will do," Kane said in an interview, adding, "He represents the best hope of the Republican Party to win that seat."

Steele, however, has made no commitment.
Asked later if he had formed a committee, Steele said: "You can quote me: 'I
have not formed anything. I have not made any decision.' "

Read it here.

So, which is it? Is he is, or is he ain't a candidate?

I sure hope he runs. If I had my druthers it would be Steele vs Mfume, but it will probably be Cardin for the Democrats.

David Wissing, the Hedgehog asks:

why on earth is the MD GOP chairman stepping all over Steele’s future announcement?

Beats me -- maybe he's getting impatient and couldn't contain himself. Steele is not just the Republicans' best hope -- he's their only hope.

No comments: